Is Your Small Business Organized?
We live in a changing world where small businesses must stay nimble of foot and focused on their goals. Sometimes those imperatives seem to contradict each other. How can we stay flexible, nimble and organized as a small business while staying focused on goals and strategies for business growth.
Its probably easier than you think. There is, however, no room for clutter in a successful small business; no room for extra stuff, tasks or costs. Here are 5 strategies to help keep that business clutter to a minimum and your small business organized for success.
- Make “clutter free” a priority for the business. By letting employees know this is important, you set the performance expectations for your staff.
- Be clear how you define clutter. Unnecessary paper is one thing but unnecessary emails is equally distracting clutter. The same goes for unnecessary meetings.
- Be a role model and set the standard for your employees. If your office is a pile of disorganized papers, your employees will believe that’s an ok standard for your business organization.
- Give staff the tools they need to be organized. Include shelves for vertical storage and immediate access to a blue box for recycling. If you aren’t sure what is missing or why an employee is so disorganized, consider having a professional organizer conduct an assessment of the work environment. There may be more complex organizational issues that the employee is struggling with.
- Schedule a semi-annual clear out day. The rules for the time are simple. Everyone participates in a clear out of their work space on this day. Order lunch.