If you are working in a home office, you may have already identified that it is important for your work life balance to set up a form of boundary or border. Separation of work and home life is essential for good organization, good health and productivity. Here are a couple of ways to accomplish these borders:
- Use screens, room dividers or use a bookcase/filing cabinet or other furniture as a room divider.
- Use an office in a cabinet set up so that you can close your office at the end of your work day.
- Have a separate phone line installed for your business.
- Ensure that family and clients understand when you are available and when you are not. What are your working hours and when are you home for your family?
- Get dressed each day for work. Establish a ritual for “entering” your office. Do you have your coffee/tea/water in hand?
- Ensure that you have a storage closet or other space for supplies so that they don’t end up all over your home.
These tips will help you to maximize your focus while at work and minimize the intrusion while at home.